Saturday 19 September 2009

Making a dress for the princess. The pinnacle of your career...

"Making a dress for the princess. The pinnacle of your career. Oh my dear your mother would be so proud."

"I know she would. But I don't think she'd be happy. You know, I don't really want dress making to be my career."


"Nonsense. With those wonderous hands you'll do no other thing."


"But I like baking. I used to really want to be a baker."


"My dear the decision is completely out of your hands, because as we know those aren't your hands."


"I never wanted this."


"You're lucky the old witch could do what she did you ungrateful child. Happily it turned out the previous owner was quite talented. You think you could have been a baker before? With those hideous...appendages."


"Well, no. But mum used to sometimes let me bake when it was just the two of us. She never minded the flipper--"


"Enough! Don't talk about those horrible things! Do you not think it's already enough of a shame on the family. Your mother, courting that creature."


"He wasn't that bad."


"And what would you know? He scarpered as soon as she was pregnant with you. That knave."


"Mum liked him."


"And a lot of good that did her. No he left, galavanting around the ocean."


"Auntie?"


"...what?"


"Is he still out there somewhere? Do mermen live forever--"


"Enough! Enough! Now you're making this dress for the princess and you should be thankful at least one part of you isn't completely useless. Now I will send for you at six for dinner. Be sure to wear the clothes I picked out for you."


"...yes auntie."


No comments:

Post a Comment